Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the girl with the dragon tattoo



Nothing happens in this book until approximately halfway through it. There was a lot of character development of the two main characters, and they both kind of annoyed me.  There were long lists of who begat whom that kind of reminded me of the first few books of the bible, and were quite confusing.  Mikael Blomkvist, the male lead, is an easy-going, unassuming kind of guy.  He is an honorable, honest man who doesn't think too much of himself, nor does he think too little of himself.  Naturally, every woman in the book wants to sleep with him.  Seriously?  If that's all it took, then a lot of people would be getting laid.  That's what I found irritating about him.  Lisbeth Salander, the female lead, is an arrogant, anti-social, type-cast punk at age twenty four.  But wait--she is also emotionally wounded, and has been taken advantage of by men, and  is very tender inside (of course).  That's what i found irrititating about her.  Here's the thing, though.  As annoying as these two are, I still wanted to know where their paths would take them, and hoped for a good ending.  Which is why I kept reading until three in the morning.  I'm glad I did, because in spite of itself, this book managed to be good.

1 comment: