Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ellen does Oprah


Did you see Ellen DeGeneres on the Oprah show?  Before I even get started, let me say, for the record, that I like Ellen.  Now I can get started.  First of all, she did not look so good.  Her new, boyish(er) haircut was trimmed above the ears, and someone should have told Ellen that her ears are pretty big.  Doesn't she have people?  I know that it's not nice to make fun of something people can't help about themselves, but I'm lamenting the haircut, not the ears.  She was funny and charming for the first half of the show when she and Oprah laughed about Ellen's quest and realization of the quest to appear on the cover of O.  Then Oprah asked her about what it felt like to have the Ellen Show cancelled, and I had a hard time sympathising at this point.  It hurt her feelings that after six years, her show was cancelled, and no one told her until her assistant did.  Probably because she is gay, she thinks.  (i am paraphrasing in this post, no direct quotes).  Really?  Because no one else's show has ever been cancelled before.  Everyone else gets treated so well by Hollywood executives.  And then she almost ran out of money.  She actually did say that.  Almost ran out of money.  And then there was this little sad face that she made. Personally I have almost run out of money about a million times. In fact, I am almost out of money right now.  I'm sure it's because I'm gay.  Come on, Ellen.  Then, after the cancellation, no one would pick up her talk show, or even call her back.  Probably because she's gay.  No one will call me back, either, or pick up my talk show.  Probably because I'm gay.  (fine, i don't have a talk show, but i'm sure it's because no one would call me back if i called them, because i'm gay.)  She talked about those hardships, and how she just learned that she had to be herself, and then she would be happy, and that's why she now has a beautiful wife and a successful television show.  Uhm, no.  It's because you are famous, and have whole boatload of money, and are even more famous now than you were before because you are gay.  Then we got to see some home video of Ellen and Portia's wedding, which was amazingly beautiful.  The bride was beautiful, the flowers were beautiful, the way they looked at each other was beautiful, and the helicopters hovering overhead taking pictures were beautiful.  I'm happy for you, Ellen, I really am, but I just can't feel sorry for you.  Please just stick to jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment